6 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Drive Out of the Unifour Area to See a Spine Specialist
Pain in the low back, neck or extremities is relatively common. Most of the time, conservative treatment options like medication, shots, or physical therapy can clear up pain. But in some cases, surgery may be the only option that can improve pain symptoms. If you have dealt with persisting pain after trying conservative treatments for 6 weeks, your doctor may have recommended that you see a specialist to discuss spine surgery. Now what? Your first action was probably to research spine surgeons in Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Asheville or Raleigh. The spine is a vital part of your body and you wouldn’t allow just anyone to perform surgery.
The Misconception about Large City Surgeons
The truth is, most people assume that the best care is found in the larger cities. There are many factors contributing to this misconception: higher competition among doctors in a smaller perimeter of space and resources and technology may be more readily available.
Hickory, Newton, Lenoir, Morganton and Valdese are not as large as Charlotte, Winston-Salem or Asheville, and the surrounding cities are even smaller. You may have assumed that the Unifour area doesn’t have any spine specialists, let alone any experts in the field. Patients often admit that they did not expect to find spine care in “small-town USA.” But after finding EmergeOrtho and meeting the advanced surgeons from our Spine Center, our area patients have relied exclusively on our practice for the care they deserve. You don’t have to drive over the mountain or in big city traffic to be treated for your spine condition.
Reasons to Choose EmergeOrtho: Foothills Region
The following is a list of 6 reasons why EmergeOrtho: Foothills Region, formally Carolina Orthopaedic Specialists, is equal to or exceeding the care of large-city practices in NC.
- We are a comprehensive spine center. We offer surgical and nonsurgical options and care regarding your spine health. Before and after treatment or surgery, we can also provide physical therapy and pain management services.
- We have the technology. We employ cutting-edge techniques, including minimally invasive surgery, while also focusing on long-standing surgical principles. Collectively, our 4 surgeons have authored over 25 peer-reviewed articles for medical journals. Not only do our surgeons keep up with technology as a group, but our individual surgeons have played significant roles in the production of new technology and research for the industry. For example, Dr. Hannibal has been a clinical investigator in 7 new spinal technologies and has trained surgeons nationwide on the treatment of spinal stenosis. Dr. Zook has trained national and international surgeons here locally at CMC Morganton, and travels nationally to teach surgeons cutting edge technology and techniques. CMC Morganton is one of the few hospitals in the country to be a surgeon training site for a minimally-invasive approach to sacroiliac joint fusion. Dr. Geissele also trains surgeons in sacroiliac surgery across the United States.Our surgeons operate in hospitals that have invested in the latest spinal imaging technology. Drs. Geissele and Maxy have routinely used this technology to perform complex scoliosis correction surgery that, in the past, could have only been performed at hospitals in Charlotte or Winston-Salem.
- We don’t require an MRI to get in the door. This is a huge benefit for anyone needing medical attention before being fully diagnosed with a spine disease or disorder. Patients have the convenience of receiving and reviewing an MRI at our practice as compared to getting an MRI at a hospital.
- You will never be operated on and cared for by trainees, like you may at a large referral center. All of our surgeons are board-certified and fellowship trained and have many years of experience.
- We have some of the best spine surgeons in the country. We have proof. Our surgeons, Drs. Geissele, Maxy, Hannibal, and Zook, are all board-certified and fellowship trained. Each surgeon has authored peer-reviewed medical papers, presented at national meetings, and delivered training to fellow surgeons on the areas in which they hold expertise. Dr. Maxy trained at the prestigious Columbia University orthopaedic program and the Leatherman Spine Institute. The spine surgeons in both programs have been prolific in national and international spine journals. They have also been at the forefront of clinical investigation and the development of innovative spinal implants and instrumentation.Though our surgeons work in the Unifour area, they have gained extensive experience all over the world. Dr. Zook served as Department Head of Orthopaedics at the US Naval Hospital in Naples, Italy. He was head of the spine service at Portsmouth Naval Hospital. He has also served a tour of duty in Kandahar, Afghanistan. Dr. Geissele served as Chief of Orthopaedics for 101st Airborne Division and 5th Special Forces Group at Fort Campbell, KY. He also was assigned as Chief of Spine Surgery at Eisenhower Army Medical Center at Fort Gordon, Georgia, where he completed 15 years of military service. Drs. Hannibal and Geissele have both delivered several national and international presentations.
- Follow-up care is conveniently close. Not only is it a hassle to travel to a large city for surgery, but recovery and follow-up care adds up for several more trips. For a patient dealing with post-surgery pain and discomfort, traveling can be quite difficult.
Our Spine and Pain Center
At EmergeOrtho: Foothills Region, formally Carolina Orthopaedic Specialists, we have a spine and pain center with the primary concern of improving the function of spine patients for long-term success. Our services include:
- Diagnostics (MRI, ultrasound)
- Operative and nonoperative treatments
- Pain Management
- Physical Therapy
We understand that injury and pain can affect anyone at any time and can make performing even the simplest task seem nearly impossible. The providers at EmergeOrtho are here to help you get back to normal and enjoying your life again. To learn more about our services or to schedule a consultation, contact our office nearest you. We treat orthopaedic patients from all over the Unifour area (Alexander, Burke, Caldwell and Catawba counties) and the surrounding counties as well. We look forward to helping you in your search for better health.